Re: screen capture of logon dialog box

Subject: Re: screen capture of logon dialog box
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: Leila Meyer <leila -dot- meyer -at- olantra -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:15:53 -0600

Leila Meyer wrote:
> I need a screen capture of the logon dialog box for Windows NT 4.0. The
> Print Screen function won't work because I'm not logged on when the dialog
> box is visible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

From a post I made to the list back in July:

Gang,

One of the occasionally recurring threads on this list
gets into how to get screenshots of stuff like
Windows NT installation, system bootup, and other
pre-OS-load events. Well, I've found a solution.

Check out VMWare (www.vmware.com) -- it lets you
have "virtual machines" running under Linux
or Windows NT, and these machines boot, load,
and run just like the real thing (well, they
are the real thing, to a large extent).
Additionally, the hardware requirements aren't
too bad, considering.

Among many interesting applications I've found
are
* testing Web pages in multiple versions of IE.
You can have multiple Windows virtual
machines, each with a different IE,
without installing or reinstalling, or
having multiple physical boxes.
* bootup screenshots
* permanently "clean" systems--you can opt not
to save any changes you make, so you
always have a "clean" system for testing.

No connection with the company--just an impressed user.

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/