Repeat button graphic?

Subject: Repeat button graphic?
From: ahowell -at- poolmail -dot- dolphinsoftware -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:03:09 -0400

I'm documenting a web-based program that uses graphic icons for various
functions. I have inserted screen shots in the list of instructions and my
question is this: should I repeat the graphic for a button (for example,
"Submit"), or is it enough just to write "Click the SUBMIT button", where SUBMIT
is in preordained font and weight (for example, Courier bold)? Will people
respond better to the repeated visual (they've just seen it in the screen shot),
or will they understand implicitly without repeating it?

Thanks for any input,

Ann Howell
Dolphin Software Services ULC
http://dolphinsoftware.com