Re: Your Taking Too Long!

Subject: Re: Your Taking Too Long!
From: benadam -at- cyberdude -dot- com
To: tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:27:09 -0400 (EDT)

Tony,

I very much appreciate your response, more than you can possibly know. I particularly liked your comment:

>Bottom Line: In most organizations, it is very
>dangerous to be efficient and effective.

At one time, I had an Objective statement on my résumé that read, "Seeking senior/lead position in high tech company that values efficiency, creativity, and initiative." My main reason for including that statement was to keep IBM from calling me again. I later learned, much to my dismay, that persons reviewing résumés rarely look at these statements!

I have often said that a good technical writer "becomes invisible on the job," that the information appears in such a lucid, obvious fashion that the writer's ego is not apparent. Unfortunately, that backfires when a contract writer is asked to justify his/her existence on a project; the very simple, clear instructions rarely reflect the amount of effort expended to create them in such an easy-to-use format.

I've been assured that technical writing is not going the way of the Edsel by many persons in high tech. Of course, nobody foresaw the failure of the Edsel, either.

- Maury

Get free personalized email at http://geocities.iname.com