Help! User-Survey for Documentation Preferences

Subject: Help! User-Survey for Documentation Preferences
From: Abby_Schiff -at- factset -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:58:32 -0400

Hi Techwhirlers,

I work for a small software company, and my dept. is in the process of
moving a lot of our print documentation to online help. I'd like to:

(a) prioritize what gets moved online first; and
(b) determine which print manuals, if any, we can discontinue altogether in
lieu of online documentation.

I think a user survey (print and online) would help us to accomplish this
task, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience designing one. I'm
most interested in the types of questions (Yes/No, fill-in-the-blank, rate
1-5), and the questions you used to get at the information you wanted. Any
tips, helpful Websites, samples, etc. would be great.

Please e-mail me off-list (or cc: me on your reply since I subscribe to the
digest). I will post a summary of responses to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Abby Schiff
Director of Documentation
FactSet Research Systems Inc.