RE: Error management in documentation

Subject: RE: Error management in documentation
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:46:18 -0700

<<I am trying to develop a way to track or organize two different
things:
> * Errors found in documentation after it has been printed
> * Product evolutions before a new version is released>>

The best way, I think, is to use the same process the developers use
to track product bugs. Usually, it is some kind of database in which bugs
are logged and tracked. If you monitor the bugs database, you will know the
identified bugs and will know when/if bugs are fixed. You can use the same
database to log "bugs" in your docs. And track the versions of the manual in
which the "bugs" were fixed. This is helpful for technical support, as well.
Developers also need to monitor and coordinate their work on new features,
so that is another process you can tap into.

If software is released more often than manuals, you may feel the
need to publish errata or release notes to document changes/bug fixes
between versions of the manual. Since we started publishing manuals in
electronic format only, I am able to keep up with software release, so that
I have a new version of the manual ready for the CD when the new software is
released. I also update the manual on the web site with changes in-between
official released versions. The online manual is always the most current and
accurate version of the manual.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer