RE: Numbering the headings. What is the point?

Subject: RE: Numbering the headings. What is the point?
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:05:19 -0500

I personally number my headings, as I *do* think it helps the reader know
where to find things (it's not so much so they know where they are - it's to
help cross referencing). But, we've had this discussion too, and some people
don't like numbering.

It's really up to your reader - and if you don't have any data that says
numbering helps, it's really up to you. BUT if you don't provide numbered
sections, I think it's absolutely crucial to implement AUTO page numbered
cross references. Otherwise, the reader has to flip back to the TOC, then to
the correct section, every time you reference a heading. And I think they
would object to that.

My .02.
Corinne Backer