RE: Numbering the headings. What is the point?

Subject: RE: Numbering the headings. What is the point?
From: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:49:40 -0400

Martin Smith wrote:
"Earlier in my career I used to write component maintenance manuals
used to maintain components of civilian and military aircraft."

I was one of your audience, then, Martin. It's true that we found
numbered headings most useful. As a helicopter mechanic, I was made to
memorize that "11" was flight controls, "4" was rotors, "3" landing gear,
etc.(I hope I still have those right! It's been a while). The maintenance
manuals were kept in 3-ring binders, and new updates and corrections to them
dropped in, and old sections thrown out, all based on number. There's a
place for this numbering scheme, for sure.

Now, if they could just lock those cartoonists in a room until they
prove they've memorized the headings...