Re: References to previous company names

Subject: Re: References to previous company names
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "Linda Sims" <lsims -at- dset -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:55:35 -0400

Linda,
You say that a company recently changed its name due to acquisition. Why
then would you ever want to use the old name? After an acquisition the old
name refers to a company that does not exist. If you are afraid that some
older clients will be confused, then you might be able to get away with
saying something like: "CompanyA (formerly known as Noncompany) produces
65% more widgets...." where you refer to its former name.

Having said that, I would guess that there are some legal issues that lurk
under this question. I'm not a lawyer, but I seriously think you should
check this question with the legal department of the company you work for.
If there is no "legal dept." because the company is small, check with the
COO. I don't believe this question is a matter of what is right or wrong
from a writing sense.

Just mho,
Kathi Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software, Inc.
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
Great things are only possible with outrageous requests.
~ Thea Alexander ~