Page numbering problems in Word

Subject: Page numbering problems in Word
From: "Lathrop, Sarah" <Sarah-Lathrop -at- forum-financial -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:53:36 -0400

I'm trying to create a template design in Word 97 that will be used by the technical writers (at this point I am the only one) and others who are not tech writers or expert Word users. I hope to be able to link some things to macros, but at this point I can't even get the template to work the way I want.

Here is what I need:

The template has to have a cover page, TOC, chapters, appendices, glossary, and index. The pages numbers for the chapters have to include the chapter number (example 3-4). The page numbers for the appendices have to include the appendix number (example: A-3). The glossary and the index have to have G and I respectively in their page numbers. The numbering for figures and graphics also has to include the chapter number. And of course, these dashed number formats need to be in the TOC, the index entries, and all cross-references.

This is my first experience creating a template. I have tried two different approaches and ran into problems with both.

The first approach I took was to use sequence fields. I have one at the beginning of each chapter that displays the chapter number. I edited the fields for the TOC and the index so the dashed page numbers display. I can get the letters in the page numbers for the appendices, glossary and index. So far, so good. However, I ran into problems with the numbering of figures and graphics. The cross-references are also a problem; they display a single digit number. I expect that if I fiddle around with editing the field codes I can make these things work, but I don't see how I can give this complicated mess to anyone else.

Next I experimented with assigning outline numbering to the heading styles. This is works until I want to change the formatting for the appendices, glossary, and index. I won't go into everything I tried, but I either ended up with letters in all my page numbers or numbers where I needed letters. I have changed settings expecting one result and got another. I have no idea what is affecting what at this point and I can't seem to find any information anywhere that explains how to do this, or what to change and why.

Am I on the right track with either of these methods? If so, which one should I use and how to I resolve my difficulties? If you need more information in order to answer that second question, let me know.

Thanks.