Automatically launching programs from a CD?

Subject: Automatically launching programs from a CD?
From: "Geoff Hart" <geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:54:58 -0400

John Wolf wondered <<Could someone steer me to the
technique used to automatically start an application and open
a file when a CD is inserted in a CD drive?>>

I'm assuming you're working on a PC? If so, then the trick
(courtesy of PC Magazine's Neil Rubenking) seems fairly
simple:

1. In a text editor, create the file autorun.inf
2. Type the following text in the file:
[autorun]
open = setup.exe <-- replace this with the name of
your PowerPoint file
icon = myicon.ico <-- not sure what this does, other than
to display the icon
3. Save the file, and away you go.

I imagine Microsoft has more information on this kind of file
on their Web site somewhere, but I haven't gone looking for
it. If you find the information, please pass it along to the list!

I'm not sure how you'd accomplish the same thing on a Mac,
though at a guess, you'd create a folder called "Startup items"
and put an alias of the file into that folder.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca (Pointe-Claire, Quebec)
"If you can't explain it to an 8-year-old, you don't understand it"--Albert Einstein