RE: Repeating Steps Task

Subject: RE: Repeating Steps Task
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:25:31 -0500

A poster at Ace Hardware inquiries about documenting repeated steps
-- "some of us are stating "Repeat steps 2 and 3 to/until...", while
others are stating "In order to..., repeat steps 2 and 3". "

When I use repeated steps, I specify the condition to be met first, then
specify the steps to be repeated. For example, "If additional transport
facilities are required, repeat steps 2 and 3." In other words, I supply the
reason or outcome first, followed by the action.

My two cents -- others may differ.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications
cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing