Re: RE: Are best practices standards?

Subject: Re: RE: Are best practices standards?
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:56:06 -0700

One response you can try is to ask the manager what tasks he or she was hired
to do. When they answer, you can say "and I am hired to do the technical
writing. You may be a fine writer, but <our company> hired me to do the
writing and you to do the <engineering>. " The acknowledgment that they are
perhaps good writers seems to take the sting out of it. It isn't a contest,
it's a simple matter of assigned tasks.

You can also point out that writing takes a bit of time and effort, and they
would probably prefer to spend that time and effort on their engineering task.

Marilynne