Re: Spell Checkers - ??OT

Subject: Re: Spell Checkers - ??OT
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:12:24 -0400

Kathi,

You surmise correctly. Most spell checkers work along similar lines,
looking up words as you type, marking those that are suspect, and
scanning for markers when you "run" the spell checker. (This is visible
behavior in Word, which shows you suspect words as you type.)

Here is the rub: once you "accept" a word (whether you add it to the
dictionary or not), the marker goes away. This can happen if you
accidentally click the Accept button (or menu item or whatever), and the
checker merrily skips six or seven pages to the next target, leaving you
totally mystified as to where that sucker was. More frequently the
problem is that someone else worked on the document before you and
accepted everything because, gee, it looked okay to me; then you are
stuck with a document that has many errors and you have to find them
manually.

Some software (don't know if this applies to Frame) have a control that
allows you to recheck the whole document from scratch. It's a nice
feature to have ;-).

HTH,

Dick