RE: Grind you down

Subject: RE: Grind you down
From: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:17:42 -0400

Greetings!

> I was wondering how professional it was to include the word "bastards" in
> your tag line, for example. Thoughts? After all, many of us are literate
> enough to figure the tag line out. Others will ask. I'm not sure I'd be
> comfortable explaining to the super-boss such a sign sitting on my desk.

Professionalism and sarcastic humour have always been a volatile mix. One
person's idea of professionalism can be another person's subversive
statement of revolutionalism.

Adorning my desk I have:
* three juggling balls,
* a flying Superman figurine atop the Daily Planet (my Burger King toy of
the month)
* a figurine of the chicken hawk dragging Foghorn Leghorn away
* a dynamite detonator which holds my books up (a real detonator that still
works)

Are these things professional? No, but they amuse me. Do they bother any
one? Not yet, nor do I expect that they should. But what if they did? What
if I had a poster with some heavy blue language on it. I'd have to use my
judgement and take my fellow co-workers' sensibilities into consideration.

So what's my point already? I guess I'm trying to say that each environment
dictates what is acceptable and what isn't, and it's not a question of
professionalism. If you're in a power-suit kind of place, you're expected to
behave and dress in a certain way that's deemed professional. If you're in a
laid-back, colorfully creative environement, then casual wear and casual
attitude is deemed professional. Who's to say which is better?

Ah well... back to my juggling...
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Grand Poohbah of Documentation
ToonBoom Technologies
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?
pg: 514-205-9209

Their site: http://www.toonboom.com
My site: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.