Being more resourceful

Subject: Being more resourceful
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:47:03 -0400

I continue to be surprised how many subscribers to this list ask
questions the answers to which can readily be found in the software
documentation, TECHWR-L archive, or other more immediate sources.

In my first real technical writing job, my manager gave me a warning in
the guise of advice: "Don't come into my office with a question until
you've exhausted all of your other resources, such as the documentation
and technical experts."

I recommend that before you ask a question on this list about how to do
something with a particular piece of software, hardware, or other tool,
you do some research. Learn to be more resourceful; it will serve you
well. The hallmark of a good technical writer is their ability to learn
quickly and efficiently. I certainly wouldn't hire someone who tends to
ask questions out of laziness or boredom.

My $0.02.

-Mike

P.S. Keep it coming Andrew Plato.
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center