Re: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs

Subject: Re: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs
From: Shelley Hoose <shoose -at- mail -dot- metro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 20:16:02 -0800

HI Colleen,

I just completed the first course of Berkeley's extension program. It was
absolutely great, very focused on the real world and what skills are needed
to break into the field. What I learned is that a certificate or degree in
tech comm isn't necessarily required. Your English background is a huge
plus, as is my BA in journalism. A good feel for technical material is
critical, an ability to understand your reader and his/her needs, etc. is
even more so.

I would advise taking an intro class anywhere (can't speak for any other
program than Berkeley's) and then evaluating how much you have learned and
what transferable skills you do indeed have. Then focus on filling in the
holes -- whether you need more tech skills (i.e. understanding some
programming languages, web design, etc.), more writing skills, more design
skills, etc. Get some books about tech list of required books for their
tech comm classes.

Good luck,

Shelley

>Hi from Colleen,
>
>I need your input re: your thoughts and opinions about Tech. Writing Schools
>in the Bay Area. .. I am looking to begin my first
>semester in January 2000. I have a B.A. In English (1988) and am changing
>careers at age 42. Suggestions? Ideas? : )
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Best,
>Colleen M.
>email: Sistrshy -at- aol -dot- com