RE: need smaller file

Subject: RE: need smaller file
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC-VPD -dot- com>
To: "'Lora Matzner'" <Lora -dot- Matzner -at- schwans -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:10:12 -0800

Rather than sending large e-mail attachments [which, no matter what size
they are, add at least 150% of an attachment's file size to a message, a
very serious bandwidth burden for the all-text e-mail channel to bear], you
could
park it on your corporate site, with web [http] or FTP link to
click-and-download,
OR use one of the various free park-and-share data sites to alert your users

to the file and let them download the file(s) at their leisure.
Mydocsonline.com
and i-drive.com are two I use [there are others] that let you upload files
and
share them with others, via e-mail notification.

Each user can thus download the designated file(s) when convenient, in
an unbroken form, in their original [binary file] format, direct to the
machine of
their choice. Given the variety of connect speeds users may have, it lets
them
get the the file(s) at the best available download connection they can
select,
such as during off-peak hours, or via a fast desktop with a high-speed
network
connection to the net [need then to transfer the file(s) to their laptop].

Of course, if someone has ONLY e-mail and no ability to connect using
web [http] or FTP protocols, then e-mail attachments are the only option.

Al Rubottom /\ 858-642-2134
Sensormatic Video Products Division