Re: FrameMaker templates

Subject: Re: FrameMaker templates
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Gerry Bourguignon" <GBourgui -at- opentext -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:08:57 -0600

You can override all the features of a Word doc's layout using a different
template. It works best create an empty document using the desired template
and then paste your existing document into that blank formatted document.

(I just confirmed this by turning a draft of this message, pasted into Word
and given dummy headers and footers, into a legal transcript. The document
formatting of the original test document was completely replaced with the
document formatting of my transcript.dot template - double-spacing, a
1-point box around the text area, each line numbered outside the box,
custom headers and footers, and page numbering beginning at page 4 instead
of page 1.)

Applying specific paragraph styles is another matter. If your document or
the template used custom styles, you still have some work left to do.

If the existing document is a couple of hundred pages, you might get
different results.

At 04:20 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Gerry Bourguignon wrote:
<SNIP...>
>In general, it appears that you can do a lot more with FrameMaker templates
>as page layouts containing, for example, running headers and footers can be
>imported if that option is selected on the Import Formats dialog. When I
>attach a Word template to an existing Word document, the headers and footers
>in the template (amongst other elements no doubt) are left out.

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm