FrameMaker+SGML and the review process

Subject: FrameMaker+SGML and the review process
From: Max Zimani <max -dot- zimani -at- hermes -dot- si>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:32:50 +0100

Hi all,

We (TCs) write our manuals in FrameMaker+SGML and convert them to PDFs for
SME reviews. The reviewers use the Adobe Acrobat Notes tool to denote
changes. We then incorporate changes into our FrameMaker+SGML documents by
copying and pasting whatever input we deem appropriate. This last step is
very time consuming and is at times frustrating. There also is no control on
the part of development managers into what has been incorporated.
Management has proposed that we develop new documents using Word for
Windows. The reviewers would then use the Word Track Changes facility to
highlight proposed changes. We would then accept or reject the changes using
a simple and quick procedure in Word. Finally, we would then convert the
document into FrameMaker+SGML. I believe that the last task can be painful,
because of the structure of FrameMaker+SGML documents.

Question:
If you use FrameMaker+SGML as your primary document development tool, how do
you go about the review process such that it is convenient to TCs, SMEs and
that it allows a measure of control on the part of documentation managers?

Please send responses directly to me. I'll summarize responses.

Regards,

Max
Max Shonhiwa Zimani
Storage & Data Management Lab
Technical Communicator

HERMES SoftLab Email: max -at- hermes -dot- si <mailto:max -at- hermes -dot- si>
Litijska 51 Phone: +386 61 1865 411
1000 Ljubljana Fax: +386 61 1865 270
Slovenia
http://www.hermes.si <http://www.hermes.si>