Re: define 'comma'?

Subject: Re: define 'comma'?
From: "Gen Whitt" <Gen -dot- Whitt -at- SDInc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 09:31:04 -0800

Hi Jane.

I'm on digest, and I know someone said this already, but you've had a lot
of other answers too.

I would definitely provide an example. You could say:

The name_pairs are separated by a comma. Example: apples, oranges.

(Substitute appropriately realistic name examples, add parenths if needed.)
Your typography would have to make it clear exactly where your example
began and ended: boldface, italics, separate line, whatever.

This would give the reader more understanding than simply telling them what
a comma is, without seeming to talk down.

Best,

Gen

Gen Whitt
Senior Technical Writer