Names of Documents-Testing

Subject: Names of Documents-Testing
From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:00:52 -0600

Hello!
Bit of a miscommunication tizzy going 'round here, so I want to ask the
documents:
In my mind and experience, a "test plan" explains the project team's plan to
perform testing. The general strategy, platforms, number of tests, testers,
needed documentation, reporting structure, etc., whatever...
The "test procedure" I write is the step-action instruction that the testers use
to carry out the performance testing (or other testing, as appropriate).
The "test report" is the stuff they write at the bottom of each test procedure,
and the "testing summary" is the compilation of all of their test reports.
The group I'm consulting with now is writing "post-y2k" tests and I'm about to
call a meeting just to clarify what the heck each of them is talking about when
they use the terms I've defined, above.
Would like your input for these terms, please:
* Test Plan
* Test Procedure
* Test Report
* Test Summary