Re: Mission Statement

Subject: Re: Mission Statement
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:08:18 -0600

>The statement I've been charged with answering is: "Why does [our
>company] need to provide quality documentation?"

Here's an approach:

Why do we need a mission statement?
Is it important the mission statement be clear and understandable?
What can go wrong if our mission statement is not correctly understood?
What can it cost us?
What can go wrong if our customers can't figure out how to use xxxx[insert
product name here]?
What can it cost us?

You can try linking the relative importance if you like, but be careful. If
the big boys there sneer at the mission statemnt, they'll sneer at your
docs as well. If they love the mission statement they may be threatened if
you try to make your docs look more important. It's course you'll want to
take only after looking hard at your situation.

Don't know if this link still exists, but here's something you might want
to read, but probably not use:

http://www.sjmercury.com/dilbert/

Have fun,
Arlen