RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?

Subject: RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 07:40:07 -0500

Hallo:

I have written documents for the US and UK markets and "translated" between
the two languages. UK tech writing uses the same conventions as US tech
writing: second person active voice. Use of third-person passive is just the
writing style of the SME, who is not an author but who is probably writing
the way they were taught in university (as someone else pointed out). Use of
the word "one," which I often see in French writing, is really akin to a
nervous tick in UK tech writing (like the Canadians who must try not to
write "eh" at the end of every sentence, y'all (or is that youse guys?)
<vbg>.

One big difference you will see between UK and US tech writing is the US
tendency to be PC (politically correct), as I illustrated above when I
changed number: "they were taught" would be written "he was taught."

Be aware that, just like in the US, the SMEs in the UK consider themselves
"writers," in that they have been writing in their native tongue all their
lives. Thus, they probably feel some ownership of what they wrote and have
deep feelings about the correctness of their style. As I said, that is the
same on both sides of the pond.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com