Re: HTML TOC and index from many files?

Subject: Re: HTML TOC and index from many files?
From: Janet_Swisher -at- trilogy -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, anne -at- visi -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:20:38 -0600

Anne Chenette wrote:
>Is there a way to generate a TOC or index from many HTML files?

>Here's the scoop: I'm starting a quickie project to document
>a Java API. We are considering writing directly in HTML
>to avoid HTML conversion costs. (And because another group
>already does "raw" HTML help.)

Do you have access to the Java source files for the API? If so, why not
use documentation comments, and let javadoc generate the index, etc.? I
recently did a survey of some of my company's developer users, and found
that Java programmers prefer javadoc-style API documentation over Help or
PDF. They are familiar with the format, and because it is generated from
the source code, they have high confidence that it is complete.

Janet Swisher
Trilogy Software, Inc.