Re: Using exclamation marks

Subject: Re: Using exclamation marks
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 99 08:50:38 -0500

Mike,

I can't say about British nomenclature, but in the US we generally say exclamation point and question mark. When we are affecting erudition, we say interrogation point for the latter. When we are speaking in printer's argot, we say bang and query. And one clever designer in the 1960s tried to introduce what he called an interrobang--a combination glyph (sort of like a snaffle or lanyard clip) to be used at the end of those rhetorical-question exclamations like "how rude was that[interrobang]" It didn't catch on, but for a while it was available in a few fonts.

Dick

From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:17:55 -0500

P.S. Is exclamation "marks" vs. exclamation "points" one of those
British/U.S.-ish differences? I've always wondered.