Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: Mpschiesl -at- ra -dot- rockwell -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:57:37 -0600

If I were hiring someone, a writing test would give me a good
impression of what kind of materials I would be getting from them
in the future. I wouldn't be looking for perfection, but I would probably
look for an overall capability to communicate, and a style that would
make my company and products look good.

I wouldn't totally scrutinize linguistics or other little things (unless there's
a real prob), but rather how the overall piece turns out. That's also why
I would not do a stapler, soda pop machine, or microwave. To me,
these things are not real, and end up being more complicated than
if you ask them to install a piece of software, use a particular software
function, or install a particular piece of equipment.

For me, the soda pop machine, stapler, and microwave stuff is
not real enough, and I usually (as a writer) get confused about
the level of detail (since I'm writing to a Zimbabwean who has
never seen a toaster oven).

Maybe they could set up a printer on Windows 95 or something(?).

Take care,

Michael