Senior Writers writing exams

Subject: Senior Writers writing exams
From: sbuttice -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:57:47 -0500

Tobbin wrote:

<I think that as a Senior Tech Writer, you would be justified and capable of
refusing such a test.>

Me:

I disagree with this comment. The Senior Writer should take the test, just like
everyone else. The difference lies in what the person hiring the writer is
looking for as a result of the writer writing the exam. In this case, I wouldn't
be looking for writing capabilities, a Senior Writer already knows how to do
that (I hope!), the thing that separates a good Senior Writer from a bad Senior
Writer is ATTITUDE.

This is the part where I'm sure to get into trouble with many of you, I'm ready.

What I'm trying to say is that, not all, but many Senior Writers are set in
their ways and refuse to adapt or accept new ideas or processes. A Senior Writer
who refuses to write an exam during the interview is giving me the impression
that this person will resist many other aspects of the process solely on
principle. In other words "I will not do this because it is not my
responsibility as a Senior Writer, let the clerk do it!".

What happens if I hire a Senior Writer who refuses to write the exam or gives
me attitude before writing it? We all know that writers put on different hats
throughout the course of a project, we have to if things are to get done. Will
the writer refuse to perform some functions of the job because they're beneath
the scope of a Senior Writer's responsibilities?

A professional would write the exam and understand that it is part of the
recruiting process. It's the ATTITUDE that will tell me if this person fits the
team and if he could be counted on at crunch time.

Sam Buttice
Technical Writer