RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:16:42 -0700

Chris Hamilton wrote:

We set up a test that involves reading a document that includes information
about
how to write a specific type of documentation, reading a very brief spec,
asking
information from the SMEs (I made sure the spec has holes), then writing a
document
from it. The document mirrors the type of documentation we produce and
contains the
type of information we consider to be important. It also involves looking at
some
code according to the directions I previously mentioned.

Salette Latas responds:

Your test reminds me of another writing test I took. The company sent me
background materials and a style guide and asked me to write on the assigned
topic for their product.

This test not only gave the recruiters a pretty good example of what
candidates could do under their specific writing requirements, but also
addresses the objections of people who feel that they don't test well, or
who think it's unfair to put someone on the spot.

The downside for the candidate is that they tend to put a lot more time into
a take-home test like this. I would rather take the 15-minute on-the-spot
test and get it over with.

Salette Latas
Technical Writer
Micron Technology, Inc.