Famous Technical Writers?

Subject: Famous Technical Writers?
From: Bill Hartzer <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:59:02 -0600

Hi all,

A recent discussion among technical writers at my company brought up the
following topic:

Are there any famous technical writers?
Has anyone ever become famous by being a technical writer?

Right now, the only "famous" technical writer I can think of would be
Joanne Hackos, who, in my book, has become "famous" by writing great
technical writing books. But that's only my opinion.

The technical writing industry has been around for a while, but is still
considered
by some to be "new." I know there are famous scientists, famous
pediatricians,
and famous football players, but is the technical writing industry 'big"
enough yet
so that we've created famous technical writers? Has our industry created any
famous people?

If you're subscribed to this list, and you ARE a famous technical writer,
has anyone
ever asked you for your autograph?

Cordially,
Bill Hartzer