Re: Using exclamation marks

Subject: Re: Using exclamation marks
From: "Jan Stanley" <jan_stanley -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:24:20 -0500

Corinne wrote of a software package:
>ALL of its pop up messages (errors, confirmations, etc.) are
followed by exclamation points. "Select a specific date for
entry!" ... By the time I'm done entering my time, I feel like
I've been yelled at for 20 minutes straight.<

I just edited an online course that includes a number of
multiple-choice quizzes. After a student takes and submits a
quiz, the program displays a results page. I suggested that
while "<B> is Correct!" might be nicely encouraging (though too
enthusiastic for my taste), "<C> is Incorrect!" is probably
rubbing it in a bit. Sounds like the program is gloating.

Cheers,
Jan