RE: Whitepaper! Whitepaper..

Subject: RE: Whitepaper! Whitepaper..
From: Josee Mariann Proulx <jmproulx -at- ems -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:28:38 -0500

Hi,

Last month, I had to write three white papers ipso facto for our products.
Like other from the list, I searched online for standards and found none.

The only examples I came up with were various white papers about IT
products. It appeared to me that by definition, a white paper is a concise
technical paper selling a given product, i.e. a technical marketing
brochure.

Here are the conclusions I came to, after having dabbled in writing white
papers. I hope they can be useful to you:

1. Length: a white paper should be concise, since it strives to globally
explain the mechanics of a given technology; contrarily to a tutorial, its
aim is not to educate on the topic. In my opinion, a white paper should
have about 8 pages.

2. Standards: since a white paper is meant to be succinct, its layout
should be simple and clear. No table of contents or index. Some authors
occasionally append a short glossary at the end of their white paper.

3. Content: a white paper should present the elements inherent to a given
technology, and explain why it is different from similar ones that already
exist on the market.