RE: Caught between tech writing and marketing

Subject: RE: Caught between tech writing and marketing
From: Curtis Matthews <cmatthews -at- cpcus -dot- com>
To: Emily_Cotlier -at- cardlink -dot- co -dot- nz, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:31:31 -0500

Emily,
I, too, started at my current company working as a technical writer under
the marketing department. My primary responsibility at the time was
preparing technical documentation, and secondarily I was writing marketing
copy, overseeing the publication of brochures and newsletters, and generally
the keeper of everything related to technical and marketing graphics (like
business cards, logos, the web site, etc.)

Back in 1996, when I started this job, that was exactly what this company
needed; it was a small company, and consisted of a few outstanding people
who pulled their own weight however they could. Since then, they've grown
almost 50% and tripled the number of products offered. As new projects came
down the pipe, I realized that I was being spread doubly thin -- new
products had a great deal of documents attached to them (manuals, brochures,
advertisements), all of which I was responsible for. What's more, the need
for better, more usable documentation began to grow, since our products were
becoming more complex.

Fortunately, other departments in the company began to realize this at the
same time. The solution we came up with was to move me and my employees to
Engineering, and divorce myself from everything marketing related.
Thankfully, there was someone in place in the Marketing department already
who was qualified to take on my management duties. My new focus is now on
documentation and communication, both the kind that helps the end user and
the kind that helps employees do their job better (mostly by working on
engineering documentation standards).

So far, it's been a very positive experience. I didn't realize just how much
time I spent on the marketing end of communication until I stopped being
responsible for it. I am now able to do a lot more in terms of project
management and the researching of new processes. Furthermore, now that I'm
considered part of the engineering team, communication with SMEs is 500%
better than it was (I actually get invited to project status meetings!
Whoo!).

Hope this broadens your perspective on your own situation. Good luck!

Curtis Matthews