RE Way OT ... (SUMMARY)

Subject: RE Way OT ... (SUMMARY)
From: Ward Rosenberry <wardr -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:58:14 -0500 (EST)

>What word changes meaning and pronunciation when its initial
>letter changes from upper- to lower-case?
>
>I'm hoping someone else can supply the answer - off line to me. I'll
>post a summary at the end of day.
>
>Ward
-------------------

Thanks a million to all who responded! Here are the answers...

The most popular response was Polish/polish:

Some are repeats but I included them for their other interesting
tidbits.

--------------------------------------
How 'bout "Trier" and "trier" ...a city in West Germany vs.
an individual who tries.
(only one entry)
--------------------------------------
Anyone who reads Asimov's "Black Widower" mysteries will answer this
one; he printed it in one of the stories. The word is Polish (the
nationality) vs polish (on your shoes).
--------------------------------------
herb and Herb? First one's good on chicken, the second one
eats chicken. And at least in the States, you don't pronounce
the H in herb, but you do in Herb.

(only one entry)
--------------------------------------
Polish (the nationality) & polish (to wax furniture)

if you win a prize, will you share?
(many entries)
Polish/polish and reading/Reading (pronounced here and elsewhere as
"Redding," the name of a city in MA and PA).
(only one entry)
Job vs. job (only one entry)

Ward

Rosenberry Associates Inc. "The Information Design Company"
30 Newfield Street EMAIL: wardr -at- world -dot- std -dot- com
N. Chelmsford, MA, 01824 (USA) TELEPHONE AND FAX: 978 251-7908