Team Building

Subject: Team Building
From: mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:34:27 -0600

Hi all (yeah, I'm still here),

An interesting note on the bonding thing. I found something that
really "clicked" with the programmers (oh, that sounded like a very
bad pun, sorry). Anyway, when I was trying to explain to them the
reasoning behind trying to single source with Frame and Web Works
Publisher, they all nodded and looked at each other knowingly. One
spoke up and said, "Yeah, we try to do that with code, too, so we
don't duplicate effort, and so that we can maintain consistency."
Wow, what a breakthrough! I know it's a small victory, but these
things can sometimes open an otherwise closed door (without plastic
explosives, and without getting naked and running through the woods).

I'd agree with the idea that this sort of bonding might, by some odd
chance, happen in a mandated team-building exercise, but is probably
much more effective and long-lasting when it occurs genuinely. When
people give a rat's butt about working together to create something in
the most efficient, and quality-driven manner, I think these things do
happen more naturally. However, you cannot force people to give a rat's
butt, and this (unfortunately) seems to be the main motivation for
these stupid touchy-feely team-building "exorcisms". Why does this
thread make me think of the movie "Office Space"? If you have not
seen it, rent it.

"I bought a dog the other day... I named him Stay. It's fun to call him...
'Come here, Stay! Come here, Stay!' He went insane. Now he just
ignores me and keeps typing." ----Steven Wright

Melissa Morgan
mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com