Re:numbering in styles in word

Subject: Re:numbering in styles in word
From: Alexandra Sutherland <Alexandra -dot- Sutherland -at- aspect -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:22:32 +1100

Alex Silbajoris wrote:
> I've encountered problems with the autonumbering of styles in Word 97
> SR-2.
> I checked the archives here, and I didn't find anyone else describing
> quite
> the same problem.

I have no cure but try the following. I have stable templates now nowadays
with few list problems - though I won't say none. It applies to any number
or bullet list style (especially heading styles) you create.

When you are creating your style always start by setting the Numbering...
option before any other format option.
1. Create or modify your style using Format>Style...>Modify... button>Format
button.
2. If you already have settings in the Paragraph... or Tabs... properties -
delete them.
3. Open the Bullets and Numbering dialog box by clicking the Numbering...
button.
4. Click on your numbering/bullet style and click the Customize button.
5. On the Customize Numbered List dialog box, fill in the 'Indented at:' to
set your paragraph indent.
NB: If you are doing headings (using the Outline Numbered tab) - don't
forget to click the More.... button (on the Customize Numbered List) and
complete the options. Setting heading styles this way is a good thing to do
but takes a bit of working out. If you can't work it out from the MS doco,
mail me and I'll write it up for you.

The premis of this solution is that some one in MS thinks that the
best/logical/'their way' of creating a numbered list is to start with the
Numbering... settings. If you don't do it in the correct order, other
property settings create conflicts and your list numbering always stuffs-up.

This is especially true of conflicts between numbering and paragraph/tabs
properties. If you set your Paragraph... indent value then set your
Numbering... 'indent at:' value, you set up a conflict. If you set the
Numbering.. value first, it is inserted as the default value in your
Paragraph... indent setting and this run relatively smoothly. Do not change
the default value when setting other Paragraph... properties. To change the
indent, always use the Numbering... properties.

BTW: I have 25 authors using MS Word across UNIX, NT and Win 98, all using
the same templates so they have to be robust!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Alex Sutherland
Training and Documentation Manager