Document(ation) system for Linux and MS windows

Subject: Document(ation) system for Linux and MS windows
From: reni -at- intellitel -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 9:8:45

Hi,

Our company is in the process of looking for a document(ation) management
system.

The software we are currently using for writing documents is Microsoft
Word, but we are also actively searching alternative applications (since
almost everyone in the office has a Linux machine). CorelOffice,
StarOffice or similar may be a solution.

We have about 30 employees at the moment, but the number of people may
double in a short period of time. At the moment, two persons are taking
care of the documentation process. The coders also produce some, but not
all of the content.

>From 2 to 20 people are involved in writing the various documents within
project. Several projects are running simultaneously.

Here are some of the current needs we have come up with:

1. Keep code and documents in the same place (to ease up packaging)
2. Keep track of all kind of documents from plain ASCII to word, excel,
rtf and pdf documents.
3. Track document status. (Revision number, Edited, reviewed, accepted,
rejected.)
4. The ability to fetch old revisions or old releases.
5. Search and retrieve documents by type, date, author, project, client,
etc.
6. Security. Some of the material is confidential for other employees.
7. Ease of use. Also the guys in marketing should know how to use the
system.
8. Remote access via Internet/Dial-up connection. We have several offices
in two countries.
9. The number of users is something between 30 to 100 or more in the
future.

The system we are looking for might run via a web based system (server
software should run under Linux operating system and clients under
Linux/Windows/etc.). This is something I came up with when I started to
find information about different systems. If there is better way (than
web) to handle the system, let me know :)

--
Reni Waegelein Technical writer
[we:gelain] Intellitel Communications Ltd