RE: log vs login

Subject: RE: log vs login
From: "Brad" <kiwi -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Niamh Murphy" <NiamhM -at- peregrine -dot- ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:23:09 -0800

> [mailto:bounce-techwr-l-9397 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com]On Behalf Of Niamh Murphy
>
> should it be the logged-on user or the logged on user ?

Hmmmm. I'm often not sure myself whether or not to use hyphens. I get into
more trouble with hyphens! This is one area where my writing is
inconsistent. <gasp!> Yes, I have sinned! <gasp!> <g>

Since you use it as a modifier (adjective) that precedes the modified noun,
I would suggest to hyphenate it: "the logged-on user".

On the other hand, if you were to have the adjective follow the modified
noun, then don't hyphenate: "the user is logged on". Now I am in trouble.

At first sniff, my non-hyphenated example looks and smells like
<screeeeech...crash...burn!> passive voice construction, but is it
necessarily passive voice? Could it not be argued that "logged on" is a
predicate adjective? Compare:

the logged-on user <adjective>
the user is logged on <adjective or passive voice?>
the user is logged-on <adjective or passive voice?>

Here is a clearer example:
the purple pen <adjective>
the pen is purple <adjective>

"Purple" is an adjective is both cases. But what about logged on or
logged-on following the noun *as a modifier*? Please help straighten me out.

(Am I off-topic again? We're discussing how we communicate in technical
communications, so I believe I am OK, but our moderator might have concern
that this is merely a grammar issue, and that this discussion is not
appropriate.)