RE: he/she

Subject: RE: he/she
From: "McClare, Scott" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:40:43 -0500

Robert E. Garland [mailto:robert -at- jtan -dot- com] asked:

> Anyone have a solution to this one? Yes, "the user" can get old
> quickly.

1. Alternate or chose one or the other at random for each example, as you
described.

2. Rewrite in the second person if feasible.

3. Recast offending sentences in plural if possible.

Best, if all else fails, just *choose* one or the other fercryinoutloud and
stick with it. I prefer the generic he, but I am not in the least offended
when I read books that use the generic she. If I've picked up the book and
am reading it, presumably I have more important concerns at the moment than
the author's choice of pronouns.

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott A. McClare - Technical Writer
Neptec Design Group Ltd., Kanata, Ontario, Canada