Re: research on justified vs. ragged right

Subject: Re: research on justified vs. ragged right
From: John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:42:22 -0800

Merry Christmas, Holly. Your computer time is set to 12/25/99.

Holly Turner wrote:

> Hello. I'm looking for research regarding the use of justification and
> ragged paragraphs in printed documentation. We've had an abundance of
> opinions in our group, and, honestly, I am just interested in studies that
> you might know about, not opinions or "I've heard that this is how you
> should do it, because..." (sorry!).

I can't cite a reference, but I've always said, "Research shows that
ragged right is easier to read," because that's what I was taught
several decades ago (and happen to strongly agree with). I think it's
a valid thing to say -- it's worked for me -- even if you can't cite
the reference.

--
Regards,

John Wilcox -- Senior Technical Writer