Re: rewording

Subject: Re: rewording
From: Janet_Swisher -at- trilogy -dot- com
To: "Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:31:56 -0600

eddy wrote:
>I need help rewording this <snip> various Financial Accounting Year
periods </snip>

>once used there, 'periods' tends to appear elsewhere in very practical
sentences that may evoke
>sniggers. Is there a synonym I can use that covers the exact nuance of
this word? somehow, 'term'
>can be misunderstood as terminology, and duration does not convey the
exact meaning. Is it
>necessary to change the at all, or am I just being extra sensitive?

>Am I a closet pervert? Should I rinse my brain with sanifresh? Or am I a
victim of political
>correctness (correctivity? correction?)

I recommend you just get over it. My understanding based on a two-year
stint in bookkeeping many ages ago suggests that "period" is standard
terminology in accounting. If you use a different word, your users may be
misled into thinking you actually mean something else. The key is to know
both your readers and your technical domain.

Cheers,
Janet Swisher
Trilogy Software, Inc.