Re: Resumes and such

Subject: Re: Resumes and such
From: "George Hinman" <techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:24:40 -0800

--

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:03:46 Lydia Wong wrote:
>Connie writes, in part:

>So, first show us you meet our requirements. Then start telling us all about
>yourself, how you can grow and learn, what you like in life, what kind of
>thinker you are, etc. That's what the interview is for. ; )
>
>Lydia

This post really hits the nail on the head, in my opinion. Many posts go on and on in detail about what should and shouldn't go into a resume without examining the simple fact of what a resume is for.
Basically, a resume is an advertisement you send to a company that convinces them to give you an interview. That's it, it is your ticket to interview at the company. If the information you include in the resume furthers that cause, include it. If you are trying to be exhaustive in listing your accomplishments and skills, you may simply bore the reader and still not convince them.
The most important question you need to answer, is why should that company want to interview you? And the answer is in their job listing.
My 2 cents..
techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com