document management and xml

Subject: document management and xml
From: Johnson Andy <Johnson_Andy -at- prc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:38:12 -0500

I am working on a project where documents written in Word will be converted
to XML. The XML format will allow display via browser, custom document
creation, and powerful search capabilities. Many different contractors will
be writing the documents which relate to the system. In theory, they should
all be using the same DTD, which in itself would also enforce document
standardization.

Does anyone have experience with programs like Documentum, Arbortext,
InVision, Bladerunner, or Astoria and have found any to be useful for this
process? What are your recommendations? My impression is that document
management systems, like Documentum, are designed to assist in workflow and
information management, rather than the project I am describing. Also,
would a document management system, such as Documentum, really be necessary
for basic document management when XML tags would allow related information
to be identified? I believe Arbortext or Bladerunner might prove more
practical.

Any feedback is most welcome. Feel free to email me directly.