RE: Designing a new help system -- Oh boy! ...ugh

Subject: RE: Designing a new help system -- Oh boy! ...ugh
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:44:28 -0500

Gang,
To generalize: People like screen shots. Help developers hate screen shots.
Actually, I like to create screenshots with hot links to explanations (as
John Posada describes). Marketing also thinks they are cool when giving
demos of the product and its help. What I hate is needing to recreate all
those shots every time some developer changes the graphic design used in a
button or other widget. Changing a text list is easier and faster.
Of course, I work in an environment where the phrase 'code freeze' elicits
nothing but laughter. That may color my thinking.
Jim Shaeffer
Jims -at- spsi -dot- com