Resume - Sample

Subject: Resume - Sample
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 17:29:07 PST

Hello all:

I recently submitted a posting recommending the PAR (Problem, Action, Result) format for creating powerful resumes. In response to several requests, below are a couple sections from my own resume (done considering PAR). For reasons that I don't want to get into, I decline to post my whole resume.

Comments always welcomed!

Thanks,

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

Note: For those unfamiliar with the PAR approach, its basic format (per employer) is as follows:

1.) The problem(s) that I faced. This does an excellent job of putting the action(s)into proper perspective.

2.) The action(s) that I took to solve the problem(s).

3.) The result of the action(s) (quantified if possible).

SAMPLE RESUME - Experience Section

AT COMPANY X

Company had no process in place to create quality Software Requirements Specifications for their product - a complex medical-provider payment-processing system. Existing specifications were criptic and incomplete, making change management for the existing client base very difficult and costly.

Created data flow diagrams and entity relationship diagrams to rigorously analize tasks accomplished and data relationships. Used this understanding to write requirements specifications for the existing client base. Extensive use made of technical writing principles to make this documentation very end-user focused. Created documentation that, except at the detail-level, is very generic - it can easily be edited to create specifications for future customers. The specs are also used for effective on-going maintenance of existing installations.

AT COMPANY Y

Company had a complex transportation-industry software product that was being withheld from market due to a lack of end-user documentation and numerous quality issues.

Developed data flow diagrams to rigorously analize how the software functioned. Utilized this understanding to create new and edit existing end-user documentation. Worked on over 100 individual applications. This documentation enabled the product to be brought to market.

Developed system-level and module-level functional test cases. Tested the functionality of all applications. Submitted over 450 software change requests to correct logical errors and discrepancies between different versions. Almost 90% of the request were implemented. Over 25% were for high-priority changes to the system.

Wrote detailed systems-level test procedures (i.e., test scripts) for the last two versions of the software. Verified the procedures for completeness and ease-of-use. The procedures are being used to retest the system after changes have been made, significantly increasing on-going quality. The procedures are also being used to train new computer programmers on the system, significantly reducing their learning curve.