RE: TOOLS: Screwy caption numbering in Word

Subject: RE: TOOLS: Screwy caption numbering in Word
From: David Chisma <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "'McClare, Scott'" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:16:39 +1100

Dave Chisma wrote:

Hi Scott,

I encountered a similar Word 'feature' recently where counters began
increasing by twos instead of ones. The particular nubering stream seemed to
have run into some kind of 'wall' where new instances got messed up (it was
a 100+ page manual with many numbered steps).

The first thing you might check is getting rid of any *unneeded* wastes of
Word's memory load. Things like character and paragraph formatting
overrides, change tracking (unless it's needed), hidden text, and so on.
(It's all like a big juggling act, and it's best to juggle balls instead of
bricks.)

Assuming all is healthy in your document except for the numbering, it might
be case similar to mine. I fixed it in my case be creating a new numbering
stream. For example, instead of { SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 1 }, I used { SEQ
afigure \* ARABIC \s 1 }. The numbering stream 'afigure' is counted
separately from the numbering stream 'figure'.

Word's Insert > Caption command still adds the the numbering stream
'figure', however.

David Chisma
Technical Writer
Retail Directions Group
dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au