Re: skills for pubs mgt (was RE: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?)

Subject: Re: skills for pubs mgt (was RE: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?)
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 12:32:59 +0200

Melonie writes:
Strangely enough, I find budgeting, projecting, planning,
hashing things out, working with people and putting
processes in place absolutely fascinating.
Also, what skills do you use the most in your position?

If you find it fascinating, there is probably little that
can stop you from succeeding. My major advice would be
to make sure you get buy-in on your projects from everyone
involved. If someone asks you when a writer will finish
a book, you can supply a prediction but only the writer
can supply a commitment. The same goes for SMEs,
graphic designers, printshops. You have to win cooperation
from them, you can't take it for granted in advance and
you can't whupp it from them at the last minute. As
the saying goes, "A failure of planning on your part does
not constitute an emergency on my part."

Oh, and there's another saying to remember:
"The higher you climb, the stronger the wind blows."

Mark L. Levinson - markl -at- gilian -dot- com - If it's urgent, phone.
Tel. 09-9560036 ext. 215 (work), 09-9552411/9555720 (home)