RE: The writer who didn't work out

Subject: RE: The writer who didn't work out
From: Karen Field <kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:13:43 -0800

I respectfully disagree with Andrew. If I had asked more questions about the
history of the tech writing department at my former company, I probably
would've learned before I took the job that no writer had stayed in the
position for more than six months--ever. I would've noticed that the woman
who was hiring me got defensive when asked about past employees, that she
never had anything good to say about people who left, that she currently
wasn't getting along with the other writer who worked there. She was a
terrible liar, and I would've gotten the information I need before I took
the job and got this information the hard way.

To me, Andrew's advice sounds like worrying too much about whether someone
else likes you and not enough about whether you like the other person. In
this job market, tech writers can often pick from among several offers.
Asking a lot of questions shows prudence. It shows that you want to be happy
where you work and you view your job as a commitment.

Karen Field
Sr. Technical Writer
Stellcom, Inc.
kfield -at- stellcom -dot- com