Worries about tools

Subject: Worries about tools
From: gyaker -at- csc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:11:14 -0500

Just hunting for some feedback.

It seems everywhere I go to look for job opportunities, companies already have
the combination of MS Word and Robohelp in place. Now to start, I'm quite
proficient in both of these products and can crank out just about any document
or form of on-line help I need. But I really detest these two software packages.
Plus very few documentation departments talk about a strong desire to migrate to
any other software packages. I've made up some weird construction in my head
that both Word and robohelp reek of mediocrity, and this is often part of a
larger problem at a company.

So I am foolish to count the use of this pair of tools at a company as a big X
against considering employment with a firm? I really am envious of you guys who
get to use framemaker, doc to help, and forehelp, etc... No question about it, I
have a large MS chip on my shoulder. We often talk about how now to let tools
get in the way of writing good documentation, but isn't it frustrating to know
there are better applications to get our work done?