Dialog box/Window/Editor

Subject: Dialog box/Window/Editor
From: "Nana Kato" <nana -at- tenryutechnics -dot- co -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:21:05 +0900

Hello all,

Could anybody familiar with the Windows' screen terminology help
me, please? In our users manual for our Windows application, I denote
miscellaneous Windows elements according to the MS Manual of
Style. In most cases, this works satisfactorily. But I wonder one thing. In
application, we have several types of windows. In many cases, I call
them xxx dialog box, since they actually serve to convey the user's
input to the system. But there are different types of windows like

1. Displays the system's status for the user to view but does not have
fields to convey user's input.
2. It may be a dialog box but may rather be called "editor" or "window"
since it is where the user edit a program to run the system.

Do you think it is ok to call them xxx dialog box? In the MS manual, where
a very specific element name is defined, they often note, "In general, do
use the terms xxx in end-user material; use xxx instead." This confuses me
even worse! In our application, differenciating such terms does not seem
so important to the user. In this sense, I can work around using the most
neutral word "window" to refer to all the windows. But if there are
terminologies, I prefer that.

I appreciate any comment or enlightenment.
Thank you very much in advance!

Nana Kato
nana -at- tenryutechnics -dot- co -dot- jp

Previous by Author: RE: Lorem ipsum sit amet....Where is it?
Next by Author: Re: What department are you in?
Previous by Thread: FW: Advanced grammar-checking software?
Next by Thread: RE: Dialog box/Window/Editor

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads