Re: Tools matter

Subject: Re: Tools matter
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:14:14 -0500

At 04:10 PM 12/9/99 , Michael Andrew Uhl wrote:
>A job candidate should definitely consider the software a company uses
>to produce its documentation, just as one should consider the physical
>working environment. Many criteria should be weighed.

I agree with this. Although I write my own help modules and documentations
whenever possible, I primarily design systems/applications. And, in my
field, our main goal is to avoid "Edselware" -- software which was never
popular, is now obsolete, and thus will not improve your skills or resume.

Speaking as someone whose "stable" job erupted with a hostile takeover and
new management which decided to relocate my entire division to another part
of the country (and I was one of the "lucky" ones who was at least invited
to accompany them), keeping one's skills up-to-date is a reality of the job
market. (Great economy or not, if the only thing you know is something no
one uses and very few ever heard of, you're going to find job-hunting
difficult.)

JMHO.